The Mikmar Bit Company started in 1953 with the invention of the Training Bit.This lightweight bit (14 ounces) was designed to develop vertical flexion, lateral flexion, or just a good mouth. It is the most outstanding, tried and proven training bit yet perfected. The bit was invented back in the early 50’s by all-around horseman, Trainer Frank Evans, who, by unanimous vote from the American Horse Show Association, was awarded the highly prestigious Judges Emeritus Award. In his work as a professional horse trainer, he made a training bit to accomplish these main objectives:
- An all-around bit for everyday use on trail and in arena.
- Effective results without abuse.
- A bit with three pressure points – nose, jaw, and bar or tongue.
- To put pressure at the most responsive points.
- To maintain the horse’s soft, fresh mouth over time.
- To protect the horse’s mouth while a new rider was learning to ride.
- To provide a satisfactory transition when changing from a snaffle to a hard or leverage bit.
- Professional results for the amateur trainer.